Unit 201, 1055 20th Avenue NW
Alberta’s Economic Recovery Plan –Build, Diversify, Create Jobs
At the start of this year, 2020 was poised to be a year of tremendous economic gains for our province. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the collapse in oil price, Alberta faces a historic challenge not seen since the Great Depression.
In response, the government has developed a plan based on the advice from the Recovery Council led by Dr. Jack Mintz. It focuses on building infrastructure, diversifying our economy and creating jobs.
The Economic Recovery Plan includes:
- $10 billion in additional infrastructure spending, the largest in Alberta’s history.
- Acceleration of the Job Creation Tax Cut making Alberta the most attractive environment for new business to invest in Canada.
- Launch the Innovation Employment Grant to support the technology and innovation sector.
- Invest an additional $175 million into the Alberta Enterprise Corporation expanding access to venture capital.
- This is just the start, more is still to come.
As MLA for Calgary-Varsity, I am encouraged with this Recovery Plan. It builds on strengths with timely, targeted investments and bold policy reforms. Its focus aims to accelerate economic diversification while also supporting our energy industry.
I appreciate Albertans response to the pandemic it has shown that we can overcome adversity. And together, we can also overcome this economic down.
I hope you all continue to enjoy your summer with family and friends while staying safe and healthy. As always, if you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to my office at Calgary.Varsity@assembly.ab.ca.