United Conservative Bill 202 would make it easier for Albertans to give to charity

On Thursday, Peace River MLA Dan Williams tabled Bill 202, the Alberta Personal Income Tax (Charitable and Other Gifts) Amendment Act, to make it easier for Albertans to give to charity.

Bill 202 proposes raising the non-refundable charitable tax credit from 10 per cent to 60 per cent for donations under $200. When combined with the federal rebate of 15 per cent, this would bring Alberta’ s charitable giving refund in-line with political donations at 75 per cent (for donations under $200).

“Albertans are some of the most charitable people in the world. If passed, Bill 202 will make it easier for them to give back,” Williams said. “This legislation will also build a stronger and more resilient charitable sector for generations to come, and it will help address affordability issues for both donors and recipients. This is something we can all support.”

Williams said he is already hearing from several charitable organizations who welcome the changes he is proposing.

“Private Members’ Bill [202] is a huge leap forward in helping to create a strong, vibrant, and sustainable charitable sector,” said Wendy Beauchesne, CEO of the Alberta Cancer Foundation.

Bill 202 will be debated in the Legislature this session. Proposed amendments would be made to the Alberta Personal Income Tax Act.

Share This